What is AFFMA – Association of Fee Free Migration Agents?
AFFMA is a registered charity which was two years in the making and was finally founded in 2013.
Our registered migration agents and lawyers provide free immigration advice to financially disadvantaged people (in New South Wales) who are eligible for a protection visa.
AFFMA is not part of the Department of Immigration or any other Government department. All migration advice given on behalf of AFFMA is given by volunteer Registered Migration Agents.
Our vision and purpose
The main purpose of The Association is to provide a one-stop shop offering a range of services refugees and asylum seekers need to access as follows:
- Pro bono assistance, by RMAs, in their migration application to the DIBP- Department of Immigration and Border Protection;
- Financial assistance to meet the cost of their migration application, health check and the like;
- Pro bono assistance in their appeal application to the Refugee Review Tribunal and the Migration Review Tribunal if needed;
- Advising the target group(s) of their rights and duties under Australian Laws after being granted a Permanent visa;
- Connect the target group(s) to mainstream services, (eg Centrelink, Medicare, ATO, employment services and mental health services dealing with victims of torture and trauma), as well as settlement service providers through community and local connections and networks in order to create a welcoming environment and opportunities to help with their settlement needs and make the adjustment to living in Australia.
How is AFFMA funded?
At present AFFMA does not receive any funding either from the State or Federal Government. Migration Agents work with AFFMA on a pro bono basis. AFFMA relies on public donations to cover our rent and administrative costs.