AFFMA’s MOVING ONLINE IN 2018
Dear Valued Readers,
Since 2013, AFFMA’s dedicated volunteers have provided legal advice to hundreds of refugees. We have lodged protection visa applications for refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Lybia, Iran and Nigeria, among other countries.
Our lawyers, migration agents, acting CEO, board members, office staff, practice manager, bookkeepers, Graphic designer, legal assistant and newsletter team have all contributed to AFFMA’s great success. However, a lack of funding has made it increasingly difficult to maintain our office space, and at its last meeting, the Board voted to move AFFMA’s operations fully online starting in January 2018.
This restructure is an opportunity to cut down on operating costs such as rent, electricity, and other office expenses and refocus our attention and resources on our clients. Starting in January, clients will contact our support desk by filling out a form on our website or by sending an email to <email@example.com>.
The support team will forward all inquiries to one of AFFMA’s volunteer lawyers or migration agents, who will then contact the client and organise a meeting to discuss the case. If it has merits and is within the lawyer’s or migration agent’s area of expertise, he or she will help the client apply for a protection visa.
Our fee structure will remain unchanged; we continue to offer our services free of charge, with an administrative fee of $250 per application plus GST.
Current clients will not be affected by the restructuring
Our current clients will not be affected by our restructure. Their lawyer or migration agent will continue to assist with their cases until a decision is made by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
AFFMA’s office will close for the Christmas holidays from Monday 18 December 2017 to Friday 19 January 2018. When we re-open we will be fully online and can only be contacted on <firstname.lastname@example.org>. All other correspondence must be addressed to:
Association of Fee Free Migration Agents (AFFMA)
PO Box 610
Newtown, NSW 2042
We thank you all for your continuing support and we wish you all a happy holiday season.
Joël Gédéon, JP
Lawyer, Pro Bono Migration Agent. MARN: 1066986
Global refugee news …
- Refugees from across Africa are being bought and sold in modern day slave markets in Libya. Read more.
- Sexual predators and human traffickers are targeting Rohingya refugees in camps on the border between Bangladesh and Myanmar. Read more.
- Myanmar and Bangladesh have signed an agreement for the return of 300 Rohingya refugees per day. Read more.
- A Sri Lankan asylum seeker has died on Manus Island in an apparent suicide. Read more.
- A coalition of human rights groups have presented reports to the United Nations that condemn Australia’s refugee policies. Read more.
- Australia has given $30 million to UNICEF to support vulnerable children in Lebanon. Read more.
- A man who participated in a people smuggling operation in 2013 has been sentenced to four years in prison. Read more.
Thank you again to our dedicated volunteers!
AFFMA is fully staffed by volunteers – from admin and finance to lawyers and migration agents to governing members – all volunteer their time and energy to serve the protection needs of our clients.
GIANT GARAGE SALE at AFFMA’s Newtown Office & Other Locations on Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd October.
While we have no staffing costs, we do have office expenses – rent, phone, stationery, electricity, insurances etc. As you probably realise, no government funding is allocated to our cause …
That’s why we’re having a GARAGE SALE at the OFFICE AND other venues for your convenience!
GIANT GARAGE SALE VENUES:
- Car park of 36-40 Port Hacking Road, Sylvania; Enter car park from Melrose Avenue.
- AFFMA Office – Upstairs at 326a King Street, Newtown, NSW 2042 Above Cuckoo Callay coffee shop.cuckoo
- Unit 15/ 36-40 Port Hacking Road, Sylvania; Enter car park from Melrose Avenue.
- Priceline Pharmacy Facade, Sutherland: 764 Old Princes Highway, Sutherland (next to Sutherland Train Station).
All items are NEW and never used. Bargains start at $1 and include:
- Men’s Board Shorts, Men’s Denim trousers, Black Jeans, Shoes (sport), shirts, Socks, Christian Audigier Polo Tshirts,
- Lady Shoes, Pantyhose, Liquid Makeup, Sunscreen, Shampoo / Conditioner, Oxygen perfume, Cover Girl, Mascara,
- Sex n City Perfume, Cotton Swab Packs, Photosphere, Hair removers, Perfumes,
- Electric Pumps, Wall Mount for TV, Nail Kit, Digital Alarm Clock, Solar Lights;
- Kids Blankets, Stuffed Tiger toys, Baby Shoes,
- Dog Houses, Cat Tree, Dog Beds,
- Rice Cooker, Stanley Rogers 150-piece cutlery set, Sandwich Maker, Cordless Kettle, Weather Station Clock, Home
- Maker Kitchen Trolley, Hairdryers, Garlic Press, GMC circular Saw, Sticks + Broom +Dust Pan, Solar Light Lantern,
- Laser pen, Mats, Heaters, Colgate ToothPaste, Ice Cream Scoop, Tomato Slicer, Plant pots 6pk Shot glass, 4pk shot glass, Trolley, Thompson 16 Piece Dinner set, Handheld Mixer, Pepper Grinder,
- Quilt Cover Sets (All sizes), King Sheet (Art home includes 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet and 2 pillowcases), Sheet and 2 pillow covers, Blanket (Cute Cuddle), Burgandy Quilt, Stuffed Dog, Blue Blankets, White Blankets, Blankets, Bed
- Sheets, Bed Sheet fitted, Flat Sheet / Blanket, TV Blankets,
- Kettles, Bubble Stick, Sealers, Spanners, Gloves, Lanterns, S:40, Digital Alarm Clock, Swim Mask set, Spray, Kettles,
- TV, Homeware, Kitchenware, electrical, electronics,
- AND MANY MORE – 3,000 ITEMS
Happy bargain hunting!
Global refugee news …
- The United States may cut its refugee intake to 45,000, its lowest in decades. Read more.
- Rohingya refugees are facing increased hostility in Bangladesh. Read more.
- Cameroon has forcibly returned 100,000 Nigerian refugees over the last two years, allegedly to slow the spread of extremism. Read more.
- Twenty two refugees have left Manus Island for the United States. Read more.
- The Refugee Review Tribunal has been found to have cut-and-pasted paragraphs in multiple decisions. Read more.
The United National High Commissioner for Refugees estimated that 59.5 million people have been forcibly displaced worldwide, and many states recognise that they have a responsibility to help refugees. However, the political rhetoric surrounding refugees, both in Australia and around the world, is largely negative and ignores the fact that Click here to read more.
URGENTLY WANTED: Volunteer Migration Agents
AFFMA is an Approved Voluntary Organisation. Migration agents volunteering with us can save close to $3000 per year in mandatory insurances and expenses.
Please email your expression of interest to the CEO <email@example.com>
We welcome contributions to our newsletter from our readers. Articles must be between 500 and 1000 words. Please send your article to <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The deadline for submission of articles is 21st of the month.